It is with great joy that I present to you the recipe for Quinoa Pizza. Delicious and actually good for the thyroid…and the soul. I have not had a slice of pizza in 13 years, since that fateful day when I discovered that gluten and I could no longer be friends. Since then I have been gazing longingly into pizzeria windows, dreaming of the day when I would once again be able to have a slice of my own. That day is finally here and I am celebrating with my very own pizza party.
First, I must thank the genius blogger who came up with the original quinoa pizza recipe. Charity Dasenbrock of www.forlifepersonalchef.com, my hungry thyroid and I would like to express our sincere gratitude.
I have made a few minor tweaks to Charity’s recipe and in the spirit of ease, I will just reprint the original recipe with my own modifications. I created my pizza in a rectangle glass pan, as that is what I had available. Others have used a cake pan or a skillet pan.
For the amazing nutritional information on how quinoa nourishes the thyroid and for detailed instructions on how to prepare quinoa, check out this post. In addition to the goodness from the quinoa, the veggies on top support a healthy thyroid. Onion aids the liver in detoxifying chemicals. Mushrooms contain selenium and are heavy in the B-vitamin family. They also contain a good amount of copper, which helps produce thyroxine, a thyroid hormone. The high vitamin C content of zucchini makes it a great antioxidant.
1 ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and soaked overnight
¾ cup water
1 t salt
¼ cup olive oil
zucchini, mushroom & onion, sliced thinly and marinated in little oil and spices (salt, pepper, oregano, etc.)
1. Drain quinoa and blend with water and salt until smooth.
2. Put pan in oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Once pan is hot, pour olive oil in and place back in oven for 5 minutes.
4. Put marinated veggies in separate container in oven, uncovered.
5. Pour quinoa mixture evenly into pan.
6. Cook for 25 minutes, spray with oil and then flip over. Add sauce, veggies and any other toppings your heart and thyroid desire.
7. Cook for another 15 minutes. Serve!
Cool thoroughly uncovered. Store refrigerated up to a week. Quinoa pizza is great cold and acks well for lunch. YUM!